Expertise: foreign direct investment; international trade; multinationals; immigration
Biography:Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano is Professor of Economics at the London School of Economics and Political Science, Honorary Professor of Economics ("studioso di chiara fama") at the University of Bologna, Director of the Globalization Programme at the Centre for Economic Performance London, research fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research London, research fellow of the Center for Financial Studies Frankfurt and non-resident senior fellow of Bruegel Brussels.
He received his BA in Economics at Bocconi University Milan, his M.Sc. in Economics at the London School of Economics and Political Science, and his Ph.D. in Economics at the Université Catholique de Louvain.
He is the co-author of many works in international trade, urban economics and economic geography. His recent publications focus on the competitiveness of firms in the global economy as well as the economic effects of immigration and offshoring on employment and wages.
He is co-editor of Economica and associate editor of Regional Science and Urban Economics and Spatial Economic Analysis.
Current Areas of Research:
I am interested in all aspects of international competition with a special focus on manufacturing and services. I am also interested in the economic effects of immigration on countries, regions and cities. My recent writings present analyses based on evidence extracted from firm-level and worker-level data sets.
- BA in Economics at Bocconi University Milan
- M.Sc. in Economics at the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Ph.D. in Economics at the Université Catholique de Louvain
- Melitz, Marc J. and Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. (2008) Market size, trade, and productivity Review of Economic Studies, 75 (1). 295-316. ISSN 0034-6527
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. and Peri, Giovanni and Wright, Gregory (2013) Immigration, offshoring, and American jobs American Economic Review, 103 (5). 1925-1959. ISSN 0002-8282
- Mayer, Thierry and Melitz, Marc and Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P. (2014) Market size, competition, and the product mix of exporters American Economic Review, 104 (2). 495-536. ISSN 0002-8282
Latest from LSE Research Online
...Read More from LSE Research Online
CEP Election Analysis
#ElectionEconomics: The Research Evidence on Key Issues for Voters in the 2015 UK General Election
Ghazala Azmat, Brian Bell, Jonathan Colmer, Antoine Dechezleprêtre, Swati Dhingra, Christian Hilber, Stephen Machin, Alan Manning, Ralf Martin, Alistair McGuire, Sandra McNally, Gianmarco Ottaviano, Henry Overman, Isabelle Roland, Thomas Sampson, Anna Valero, John Van Reenen, Jonathan Wadsworth, Gill Wyness and Gabriel Zucman
Paper No' CEPEA034:
| Executive Summary