Expertise: Innovation, productivity, Industrial organisation, labour economics, public policy, competition policy
Tenured Professor MIT Department of Economics and Applied Economics Group, Sloan School of Management
Editorial Board of Quantitative Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association and Management Science
Winner of the 2014 European Investment Bank Prize for Excellence in Economic and Social Research
Winner of the 2009 Yrjö Jahnsson Award (European equivalent to the Bates Clark Medal)
Fellow of the British Academy, Econometric Society and the Society of Labour Economists
Other Recent Positions:
I have extensive experience working as an economist for various private and public sector organisations including:
- Full Professor in the Department of Economics, London School of Economics.
- Director Centre for Economic Performance, London School of Economics.
- Professor, Department of Economics, University College London (1994-2003)
- Senior Policy Analyst in the Strategy Unit at the Department of Health (2000-01), reporting directly to the Secretary of State
- Visiting Professor, Department of Economics University of California at Berkeley, January 1998-January 1999
- Policy advisor to No.10 Downing Street, 1999-2000, education, enterprise and tax.
- Research Fellow in the Corporate Sector, Institute for Fiscal Studies (September 1992-February 1999). Founded the productivity and innovation program at IFS
- Editorial Board - Economic Policy (2000-2003), European Economic Review (1999-2003), The Review of Economic Studies (1997-2003), Editorial Board of Journal of Industrial Economics (1996-2008)
- Partner, Lexecon Ltd 2001-2002
- Denning Visiting Professor of Global Business and Economics (2008-2009), Stanford University
- 1990-92 University College London PhD
- 1988-89 London School of Economics MSc (Distinction with Prize)
- 1986-88 Queens College, University of Cambridge BA (First Class, Joshua King prize, College prize and Subject prizes)
- 1978-84 Kelsey Park Comprehensive School
Affiliations/Professional activities with other institutions:
Management and the Wealth of Nations, Kutsu Yrjö Jahnsson Lectures, Helsinki, 27-28 May 2015
Harvard Public Finance PhD course in Management and Innovation
NBER Entrepreneurship Bootcamp
EC486 - Economics and Management MSc Econometric Methods
MIT/Harvard PhD, Organizational Economics , Winter 2013
Stanford GSB, MGTECON 591
Lectures about core modern management practices and firm organization
(See also FULL LIST of Publications)
- The Intellectual Spoils of War? Defense R&D, Productivity and Spillovers (with Enrico Moretti and Claudia Steinwender), forthcoming CEP working paper.
- Spillovers in Space: does geography matter? (with Sergey Lychagin, Joris Pinkse and Margaret E. Slade), Journal of Industrial Economics (2016), June 64(2).
- Trade induced technical change? The impact of Chinese imports on innovation and Information
Technology (with Nick Bloom and Mirko Draca), forthcoming, Review of Economic Studies.
- JEEA-FBBVA Lecture 2013: The New Empirical Economics of Management (with Nick Bloom, Renata Lemos, Raffaella Sadun and Daniela Scur), Journal of the European Economic Association (2014), 12(4) pp. 835-876.
- Carbon Taxes, Path Dependency and Directed Technical Change: Evidence from the Auto Industry (with Philippe Aghion, Antoine Dechezlepetre, David Hemous and Ralf Martin), Journal of Political Economy, (2016), 124(1).
Also available as CEP Discussion Paper No. 1178
- The Impact of Competition on Management Quality: Evidence from Public Hospitals (with Nick Bloom, Carol Propper and Stephan Seiler), Review of Economic Studies (2015) 82: 457-489.
- The distinct effects of Information Technology and Communication Technology on firm organization (with Nick Bloom, Luis Garicano and Raffaella Sadun), Management Science 60(12) pp. 2859-2885. Download Data file (PDF)
- Identifying Technology Spillovers and Product Market Rivalry (with Nick Bloom and Mark Schankerman),
Econometrica 2013, 81(4), 1347-1393.
Download data files (.zip)
- Innovation and Institutional Ownership (with Philippe Aghion and Luigi Zingales), American Economic Review 2013, 103(1): 277-304. Download associated data files (.zip).
- Has ICT Polarized Skill Demand? Evidence from Eleven Countries over 25 Years (with Guy Michaels and Ashwini Natraj), Review of Economics and Statistics 2014, 96(1) pp.60-77.
- The organization of firms across countries (with Nick Bloom and Raffaella Sadun),
Quarterly Journal of Economics (2012), 127 (4), 1663-1705. Download Data file (.zip)
- Americans do I.T better: US Multinationals and the Productivity Miracle (with Nick Bloom and Rafaella Sadun), American Economic Review (2012) 102 (1),167-201 Download Associated data files (zip)
- Can Pay Regulation Kill? Panel Data Evidence on the Effect of Labour Markets on Hospital Performance, Carol Propper and John Van Reenen, Journal of Political Economy (2010), Vol. 118, no. 2, 222-273
- Technology, Information and the Decentralization of the Firm (with Daron Acemoglu, Philippe Aghion, Claire Lelarge and Fabrizzio Zilibotti, Quarterly Journal of Economics (2007), 122 (4), 1759-1799
- Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Nations (with Nick Bloom) Quarterly Journal of Economics (2007) 122 (4), 1351-1408
- How special is the relationship: Using the impact of US R&D spillovers on British firms as a test of technology sourcing (with Rupert Harrison and Rachel Griffith) American Economic Review (December 2006) 96(5), 1859-1875
- Uncertainty and Company Investment Dynamics: Empirical Evidence for UK firms (with N. Bloom and S. Bond) Review of Economic Studies (2007) 74, 391-415 "
- Skill biased organisational change? Evidence from British and French establishments (with Eve Caroli) Quarterly Journal of Economics (2001) CXVI, No. 4, 1449-1492
- Market share, market value and Innovation: Evidence from British Manufacturing Firms (with Richard Blundell and Rachel Griffith). Review of Economic Studies (July 1999) 66(3), 228, 529-554
- Technology and changes in the skill structure: Evidence from seven OECD countries (with Stephen Machin). Quarterly Journal of Economics (November 1998) CXI, 113, 1215-44
- The Creation and Capture of Economic Rents: Wages and Innovation in a Panel of UK Companies. Quarterly Journal of Economics (February 1996) CXI, 443, 195-226
Selected Working Papers:
(See also FULL LIST of Publications)
- Economics of Brexit, Brookings Institute Panel, Washington, 15 Spetember 2016.
- The Causal Effects of an Industrial Policy, LSE/EC Conference on Place Based Policies , London, 21 April 2016
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Hong Kong University Public Lecture, 3 March 2016.
- What are the costs and benefits of Brexit? Static trade models, Royal Economic Society, BREXIT Plenary, University of Sussex, 22 March 2016.
- Do tax incentives for research increase firm innovation? An RDD for R&D, Oxford Applied Economics Lecture, 2 February 2016.
- Innovation & Top Income Inequality, Panel Discussion at AEA Conference, San Francisco, 5 January 2016.
- International Data on Firm Management and Organization, Private Data Session at AEA Conference, San Francisco, 4 January 2016
- More than Price Effects, CRA Conference - Panel on Merger Analysis: Beyond Price effects, Brussels, 10th December 2015.
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Keynote Presentation to ZEW Mannheim Workshop on effects of HRM Policies, November 23 2015.
- Productivity Issues: Past, Present and Future, Peterson Institute Conference on Productivity Slowdown, 16th November 2015.
- Of Managers and Management: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data, Stanford NBER Conference on Firms and Wage Inequality, 13th November 2015.
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Conference on Firm Management, Kiel, 29 October 2015.
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Italian Economic Association, Naples, 23 October 2015.
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics, 6 October 2015
- Firm Size Distortions and the Productivity Distribution: Evidence from France, Conference on Size Dependent Regulations, Cornell University, 2 October 2015
- Productivity, Management & Reallocation, Bank of England/IFS Conference, London 23 September 2015.
- What might be the economic effects of Brexit? Foreign & Commonwealth Office seminar, London, 10 September 2015
- Panel Discussion of Competition, IP and Innovation, European Economic Association Annual Conference, Mannheim, 27 August 2015.
- Restoring Productivity: Does Management Matter?, CE2 Conference, Warsaw, 2 July 2015.
- Discussion of Capital Allocation & Productivity in South Europe, COMPNET Conference, European Central Bank, Frankfurt, 25 June 2015.
- Management, Productivity & Reallocation, COMPNET Conference, European Central Bank, Frankfurt, 25 June 2015.
- Economic Analysis & Public Policy, PWC Seminar, London, 30 April 2015
- The Election & the Economy, CASE Seminar, London School of Economics, 29 April 2015
- Intangible Managerial Capital in Hospitals, NIESR SPINTAN Milestone 3 Conference, London, 23 April 2015
- Management and the Wealth of Nations, Cabinet Office / HM Treasury Presentation, London, 27 March 2015
- The Election and the Economy, LSE Election Panel on the Economy, 19 March 2015
- Innovation Policy and the Lifecycle of Inventors, SIMPATIC Conference, Brussels, 26 February 2015. Coming soon
- Inequality, Growth and Technology, Warwick University Economic Society seminar, Warwick, 11 February 2015
- Technology and the Labour Market, Deloitte CFO Lunch, London, 2 February 2015
- Being Competititve in the Global Economy: Management Matters, Marshall Society Power of Policy conference, Cambridge, 31 January 2015
- Solving the Growth Puzzle, Institute of International and European Affairs (IIEA) Keynote Lecture, IIEA, Dublin, 19 January 2015. Video available from IIEA website.
- Personal Economics in Context, Econometric Society Invited Lecture, 2015 AEA, Boston, January 2015
- CEO Pay, University of British Columbia Finance Seminar, Vancouver, Canada, 4 November 2014.
- The UK Labour Market: Out of Rehab?, Resolution Foundation, 21 October 2014.
- Innovation, Management & Competition, European Investment Bank Seminar, Berlin, 26 September 2014.
- Are Developing Countries Held Back by their Management? IGC Growth Week Conference, London, 23 September 2014.
- Managerial Human Capital and the Wealth of Nations, CES-Ifo Economics of Education Keynote address, Munich, 13 September 2014.
- Boss-onomics: Taking the Measure of Management, Richard Stone Lecture, Cambridge MA, 27 February 2014
- Firm Size Distortions and the Productivity Distribution: Evidence from France, MIT Applied Micro Seminar, 21 February 2014
- Competition, Competitiveness & Industrial Policy: New Convergence or NewConflict, CRA Competition Conference, Brussels, 11 December 2013
- Inequality and Policy, Presentation to Inclusive Prosperity Commission, New York, 13 November 2013
- Competition and management quality in hospitals, Princeton, 12 November
- Management as a Technology? Harvard Business School TOM seminar, 7 November 2013
- Innovation, Misallocation & Finance, World Bank Conference on "Making Growth Happen", Washington DC, 16 October 2013
- Management Practices, Ownership and Competition, Marianne and Marcus Wallenberg Fouondation Jubilee Symposium, Stockholm, 9 September 2013
- Firm Size Distortions and the Productivity Distribution: Evidence from France, NBER Summer Institute: Productivity and Macro, 16 July 2013
- Management as a Technology? Australasian Econometric Society Annual Meeting, Sydney, 10 July 2013
- Management as a Technology? FFBVA Annual Lecture, Madrid, 30 May 2013
- Management as a Technology? Zurich Departmental Seminar, Zurich, 3 May 2013
- UK Productivity Puzzle, Keynote Presentation at Bank of England Chief Economist's Workshop, 23 May 2013
- Introduction to the Productivity & Innovation Programme, CEP Annual Conference, 20-21 May 2013
- Management Quality in the UK: Policy Implications, presentation to HM treasury, London, 16 May 2013
- Management, Productivity & the Importance of Clinical Leadership in Hospitals, Cass/IZA Workshop on Leadership, London, 9 May 2013
- Jobs, skills and technology in Asia, Asian Development Bank Annual Conference, Delhi, 2 May 2013
- Evaluation of State Aid, Keynote Presentation, European Commission conference on Evaluating State Aid, Brussels, 24 April 2013
- Management as a Technology? Berkeley Departmental Seminar, 20 March 2013
Digital Economy, Google Big Tent Event on Fuelling jobs, growth and innovation in Europe, Brussels, 20 February 2013
Investing in Prosperity, ESRC All Party Social Science Group meeting, House of Commons, London, 5 February 2013.
Management as a Technology? LSE Department of Management Seminar, 28 November 2012
The Role of GPs in Hospital Choice, Office of Fair Trading Econometrics Workshop, London, 27 November 2012
Impartiality & Economic Reporting, presentation at British Broadcasting Corporation "Conference on BBC Impartiality and Economic Reporting", London, 6 November 2012
Trade Induced Technical Change: The impact of Chinese imports on innovation, diffusion and productivity, presentation at Austrian National Bank, Vienna, 22 October 2012.
- UK Growth Performance, presentation at Department for Communities & Local Government, London, 1 October 2012
- Economic Performance in US & EU: Productivity, Management and Policy, Peterson Institute, Washington DC, 28 September 2012
- Management as a Technology? NBER Summer Institute: Productivity & Macro Group, Cambridge MA, 18 July 2012
- Wage Inequality, Skill Demand and Skill Supply: Recent evidence,
European Society for Population Economics (ESPE) Annual Conference, Berne, Switzerland, 21 June 2012
- UK Growth Performance, BIS Evidence Based Policy Workshop on Growth, Department for Business Innovation & Skills, London, 13 June 2012
- Management Practices and Growth, LSE Growth Commission Evidence Session on Management, LSE, London, 28 May 2012.
- Private Enterprise Dynamics in Low Income Countries, CEPR/DfID Private Enterprise Development in Low Income Economies meeting, London, 18 May 2012.
- Growth Policies, Lead Non-Executives Conference, London, 9 May 2012
- Horrible Bosses: The New Economics of Management, Keynote Address to Irish Economic Association, Dublin, 27 April 2012.
- UK Economic Performance since 1997: Growth & Productivity, Royal Economic Society Conference, Cambridge UK, 26 March 2012. See full session details at How to Get Back to Growth
- Management as a Technology? Kyte Conference, University of Bocconi, 22 March 2012.
Firm Size Distortions and the Productivity Distribution: Evidence from France, NBER Entrepreneurship Group Event, Cambridge MA, 2 December 2011.
- Boss-onomics: Does Management Really Matter? Esmee Fairbairn Lecture, Lancaster University, 22 November 2011.
- Decoupling of Wage Growth and Productivity Growth? Myth and Reality, LSE/Resolution Foundation Seminar, London School of Economics, 21 November 2011.
- UK Economic Performance since 1997: How bad was Labour? And what are the implications for restoring growth? London School of Economics, 15 November 2011.
- Boss-onomics - Does Management Really Matter? Fondazione Rodolfo Debenedetti Lecture, Milan, 10 October 2011.
- Where is Future Growth Going to Come From?, LSE Works Lecture, London School of Economics, 17 February 2011.
- Rebalancing the UK Economy, Discussion of Vince Cable at LSE Business Breakfast, 11 December 2010
- Trade Induced Technical Change, OECD Conference on Growth, Paris, 10 December 2010
- Competition, Consumer Policies and Economic Growth: Discussion of John Fingleton, CRA Conference on Competition Policy and Growth, Brussels, 7 December 2010
- Boss-Onomics: Does Management Matter? Royal Economic Society Lecture, London & Manchester, 2-3 December 2010
- Management Matters in Healthcare, One Birdcage Walk, London, October 26 2010
- Productivity and Management, Implications for Brazil, Insper Business School, Sao Paulo, Brazil, September 13 2010
- Restoring Growth, CEP 21st Birthday Lecture Series, LSE, 16 November 2010
- Sources of Growth, Annual Analysts' Conference, Department for Business Innovation & Skills, London, November 2010
- Competition and Management , Keynote address for EARIE (European Association of Industrial Economics, Istanbul, September 2010
- Management, Organization and Productivity, Invited session for World Congress of Econometric Society, Shanghai, August 2010
- Bossonomics, Invited Lecture to Civil Service College, Singapore, August 2010
- Youth Unemployment, Bristol WPEG conference, July 2010
- Inequality, Technology & Trade: 21 st Century Evidence,
Adam Smith Lecture for the 2010 Joint meetings of the European Association of Labour Economists/Society of Labor Economists, June 2010 (Eale8)
- Productivity, Innovation and Economic Policy University of Copenhagen , June 2010
- Discussion of The Executive Compensation Controversy: A Transatlantic Analysis, by Conyon, Fernandes, Ferreira, Matos & Murphy May 2010
- Productivity, Management and the Organization of Firms, Yrjö Jahnsson Lecture, University of Helsinki, January 2010
CEP Election Analysis
#ElectionEconomics: The Research Evidence on Key Issues for Voters in the 2015 UK General Election
Ghazala Azmat, Brian Bell, Jonathan Colmer, Antoine Dechezleprêtre, Swati Dhingra, Christian Hilber, Stephen Machin, Alan Manning, Ralf Martin, Alistair McGuire, Sandra McNally, Gianmarco Ottaviano, Henry Overman, Isabelle Roland, Thomas Sampson, Anna Valero, John Van Reenen, Jonathan Wadsworth, Gill Wyness and Gabriel Zucman
Paper No' CEPEA034:
| Executive Summary
Bridging the Productivity Gap
Rachel Griffith, Stephen Redding and John Van Reenen
Paper No' CEPCP080:
CEP Discussion Paper
Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries
Stephen Machin, A Ryan and John Van Reenen
Paper No' CEPDP0297:
CEP Discussion Paper
The Economic Effects of Multiple Unionism: Evidence from the 1984 Workplace Industrial Relations Survey
Stephen Machin, M Stewart and John Van Reenen
Paper No' CEPDP0066: