Expertise: International trade agreements; Trade policy
Biography:Emanuel Ornelas, PhD (University of Wisconsin-Madison), is an Associate Professor in the Managerial Economics and Strategy Group, Department of Management, London School of Economics, and a Professor at Sao Paulo School of Economics-FGV. Ornelas is also an Associate Editor of the Journal of International Economics, a Research Fellow of the Centre for Economic Policy Research, and a Research Affiliate of the International Growth Centre. Prior to joining LSE, he worked as an Assistant Professor at the University of Georgia and at Ibmec-Rio. Ornelas’ research interests include international trade, political economy, and theories of the firm. In recent work he has examined the political economy of the formation and the consequences of regional trade agreements; the strategies of exporting firms; the impact of trade liberalization on firms’ investment incentives; the implications of the separation of ownership from control for the efficient restructuring of firms. Ornelas has presented his work in numerous professional conferences and academic institutions. He has published in several academic journals, including the Quarterly Journal of Economics, the Journal of International Economics, the Economic Journal, Games and Economic Behavior, and the American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics.
Current Areas of Research:
Emanuel’s current research focuses on the impact of trade shocks on firms’ behaviour, the incentives to offshore under free trade agreements, and the effects of political competition and constraints on the public debt on economic policies.
His research interests include international trade, political economy and theories of the firm.
- PhD, University of Wisconsin, 2002
- MSc, Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, 1997
- BSc, Federal University of Minas Gerais, 1993
- Discussant of the WTO’s World Trade Report 2011 at its official launching, July 2011
- Chair Jacquemin award for “best paper on Heterogeneous Firms and Trade Policy” (ETSG), 2009
- Haralambos Simeonidis Award for Best Paper by an Economist Affiliated to a Brazilian Institution, 2005
Affiliations/Professional activities with other institutions:
- Managerial Economics and Strategy Group, London School of Economics
- Associate Professor (on leave)
- Sao Paulo School of Economics-FGV
- Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
- Research Fellow
- International Growth Centre (IGC)
- Research Affiliate
The limits of political compromise: Debt ceilings and political turnover
Alexandre B. Cunha and Emanuel Ornelas
Paper No' :