Expertise: International Trade, Multinational Activity, Financial Frictions, China
Biography:Kalina Manova is an Assistant Professor of Economics at Stanford University. She is a Faculty Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research, a Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research, an Associate at the LSE Centre for Economic Performance, a Member of the LSE/Oxford International Growth Centre, and a Faculty Fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research. She received her Ph.D. from Harvard University in 2007 and her A.B. from Harvard College in 2002. She serves as an associate editor at the Journal of International Economics.
Current Areas of Research:
Dr. Manova’s research focuses on three themes in international trade and investment. One line of work examines the effects of financial frictions and resource misallocation on international trade, multinational activity, and the welfare gains from globalization. Another strand of research studies firm heterogeneity in international trade, with a focus on product quality and managerial practices. A third set of projects explore the determinants of firms’ position in global value chains and its consequences for firm performance and the aggregate economy.
- PhD Economics, Harvard University, June 2007
- AM Economics, Harvard University, November 2004
- AB Economics, Harvard College, Magna Cum Laude, June 2002
- Hoover Institution National Fellow, 2012-2013
- Excellence Award in Global Economic Affairs, Kiel Institute for World Economy, 2012
- Peter B. Kenen Fellow, Princeton International Economics Section, 2009-2010
- “Credit Constraints, Heterogeneous Firms, and International Trade,” Review of Economic Studies 80 (2013), p.711-744.
- “Export Prices across Firms and Destinations,” Quarterly Journal of Economics 127 (2012), p.379-436. (with Zhiwei Zhang)
- “Volatility and Growth: Credit Constraints and the Composition of Investment,” Journal of Monetary Economics 57 (2010), p.246-65. (with Philippe Aghion, Marios Angeletos, and Abhijit Banerjee)